Monday 25 October 2010

Riding on the A428!

Monday 25th, 11:04

According to the Cambridge News,
"A 30-year-old man, from London, has also been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving following the death of a cyclist yesterday.
It follows a collision at 7.17pm on the eastbound carriageway of the A428 between Dry Drayton and Cambourne.
The 53-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene after being involved in a collision with a white Ford Transit van.
The man arrested has been released on police bail, a spokesman for Cambridgeshire Constabulary said."
I (almost) saw this happen. :-(

The article was published on the 24th and mentions 7.17pm and indeed was referring to the evening of Saturday the 23rd.

I was driving from Cambourne to Cambridge and was approaching the Dry Drayton exit when loads of Police cars with flashing blue lights appeared going both East and West. Turns out they were coming from Cambridge and doing "U" turns at the Cambourne exit to get to the scene.

The collision appeared to have happened mere metres from the start of the Eastbound off-ramp at the Dry Drayton exit. Indeed, there were big gouged skid marks running up the embankment after the start of the off-ramp.

My heart sank when I saw the bike on the edge of the road. I have to tell you, it was pitch black and I would have thought twice before riding along the A428.

I have ridden along the A14 quite a few times, but it's always been in broad daylight and it is often the case that I'm doing so when the traffic is so heavy I'm going faster than it is. Also, I almost always only have need to go North on the A14 and that means going along the side with the lorry park / lay-by etc. I spend well over 75% of my journey physically separated from the traffic-proper.

I decided to give it a try when I saw the blue "cyclists should ride this way" sign / road map thing. I figured if there are signs saying where the cyclists should ride I have license to ride there. When I figure out what these are called / get a photo I'll update this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment