Thursday 2 September 2010

Get Cycling Sorted

I just submitted this to www.cyclingsorted.com.

Marking a spot on the Airfield Road I wrote:

"This is the No Vehicles road in between Oakington and Longstanton.
It is locally referred to as "The Airfield" road.
I ride along this road twice a weekday.
Traffic is legally and explicitly excluded, except for taxis & mopeds & tractors going to the farm.
However 1000 cars a day use it as a rat run.
(I'm assuming) Since cars are explicitly excluded, it isn't maintained and it is utterly covered in pot holes.
Because it's covered in pot holes I have to cycle quite a distance from the 1m zone that bikes usually occupy and I also have to move about the road a bit.
This should be fine if there were no cars, but in the 3 minutes I take to cross this 1 mile stretch of road I'll usually be passed by 20 cars (10 in each direction) - many of them exceeding the 60 mph National Speed Limit in place, some doing so overtaking both me and another car that's overtaking me at the same time.
I have been repeatedly beeped at, threatened with violence and actually rammed off the road once by criminal and completely insane car drivers who think I'm in the wrong for riding around a pot hole.

Please, please, please get this road re-surfaced and have a non-exclusive cycle lane painted in."

and was given reference 24936.

No comments:

Post a Comment