Wednesday 10 March 2010

Magdalene Street and the Priority Misconception.

When I ride through the dip in Magdalene Street, having just come down Castle Street I very clearly have priority. Not only is there a huge sign telling me that I do, but you may spot the Give Way line and upside-down triangle on the other side of the dip, to let the oncoming traffic know that I have priority.

Well about once a week a car comes screaming through the dip straight at me. Today it was a bright red new model mini. As it approached the Give Way line I could see it wasn't stopping and I waved my arms at it wildly trying to tell it not to carry on into the frighteningly narrow and constricted dip. It didn't work and I had to skid to a virtual dead stop so that the car could go by without me crashing into the bollards that protect the pedestrians.

I think that just like the sign that's on my side telling me I have right of way, there should be a similar, but inversed, sign on the other side, as clearly a Give Way line just isn't explicit enough for the moron drivers in Cambridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment